Sunday, August 6, 2017

August 6, 1st Week in Cape Town

6 August 2017

It was a long but welcome journey, finally, after so much preparation.  I arrived to my lodging about 11pm on Wed, August 2, 2017. I am just ending the first week in my new home.  I am staying in temporary rental like an AirBnb, but via a friend of a friend. I have a cozy bed but awake too early, either 2:30 or 3 a.m. I thought I would be switched over in my schedule by now since I was awake so much in the 20+ hours of travel to get here. It is beautiful weather now in the 60’s during the day and 40-50s at night, but too dry. They have been in a severe drought for a year and this should be its rainy time. It will get critical if this lack of rain continues and the hotter than normal predicted temps for summer occur.

Anyway, I am just now realizing that I have actually made this leap and will be inventing a new life for myself.  I am so grateful to the Fulbright Program for this opportunity and for all of your hard earned tax payers' dollars.

Currently, I awake with a little nervousness but know it will all work out. I went to the US Consulate last week for a security briefing and there was some sobering informatoin on crime- some of which sounds worse than when I was here in 2001. So it is a different reality to keep in mind, always.  And yet so many interesting things to learn about and people to meet too.

I have been listening to Trevor Noah's book, Born A Crime, which is fascinating and fun but hard to hear what it was like for him and so many others as apartheid was ending, particularly since his mother was black and his father white. Things are tumultuous here with race and issues of inequality as they are in the US.

My mission in the coming days/weeks is finding a place to live for the year. Where I am staying at the moment is convenient and nice but only has a microwave and small fridge, toaster and electric kettle. so although it is not what I want in the long-run, it is a sweet place nonetheless.  And it is interesting about getting creative about what I can do with my meals with what I have to work with. The area where I am located is called Observatory and is walking distance to University of Cape Town’s Department of Public Health.  It is also a pretty hip area in general, but not too gentrified, although heading that way.  Lots of new high-rise development going on much to the upset of the locals, not unlike what is happening in parts of Seattle.  This area has lots of restaurants and shops, and I am hoping places to listen to music.  It is easy walking to grocery stores and other shops for basic needs.

It is also nice that my little flat is attached to the house where the owner lives – she is a very nice woman who just retired from working in planning and policy in the development of educational programs across several universities.  She is also instrumental in the organizing of many groups joining in a mass demonstration on Monday 7 August where around the country there will be thousands demanding that the Parliament recall President Jacob Zuma – even more corrupt than our #45 since he has been at it longer.   Living near the owner is nice knowing someone is available if I need something. My place is a large one room living area/bedroom, a small kitchenette and bathroom.  There is a lovely small outside courtyard that is very protected.  Lots of keys to keep track of for the 3-4 locks I need work with.  I am attaching a photo of the plaque outside the main house that describes a milestone that took place in my part of the property.

Gradually, I am getting around and reconnecting with people and places that I know from 6 months stay here in 2001.  It is reassuring that there is a certain amount of familiarity with some people and places.  Last Thursday eve, I went with my friends, Leslie and Phyllis (who were kind enough to pick me up at the airport and deliver me to my lodging) and another of their friends, to the Book Lounge in the City Center.  We went for a book launch by author, Maxine Case, for her novel called, Softness of the Lime, about the Cape area in the late 1780s and it sounds really interesting with good historical background for the place and time.  I look forward to reading it.

Today, Sunday, I went to one of my favorite places, Kirstenbosch Gardens, to meet up with my friend and colleague whose project I worked on in 2001.  I met him, his wife and two boys there in the morning.  It was a beautiful day and the gardens are spectacular.  We had a delicious lunch in the Tea Room restaurant of the garden.  Then later, it was back to another cool wooded area with trails to walk with friends and their dogs.

Tomorrow I will go to the Department offices and see about where I will be fitting in to the various projects and opportunities there.  I know there will be no shortage of things to get involved in.

A few photos include: Table Mountain looking up the street outside my gate; Table Mountain from the university; my friend Mohamed and 7 y.o. son Yameen on our walk in Kirstenbosch Garden; Mohamed, his wife Razia and Yameen; Me and Yameen; the waterfall we hiked to at the Garden; the plaque on the house where I am staying this month; and the amount of luggage I checked to come here; plus carryon bags, my trusty day pack (thank you Jim Catalano) and another smaller item.




 



  
      

1 comment: